Monday, April 03, 2006

It's Baseball Day

Today is the best day of every year, major league baseball's opening day. Hopefully, for me, this will be the year the Indians and Cubs (without Dusty Baker) meet in the World Series. I love baseball and follow the Phillies, Brewers, Marlins, Rangers, Indians and Cubs pretty closely, but am an Indians and Cubs fan. The Royals are dead to me, but I still know quite a bit about their organization. I wrote about my defection here and here. The winners of my loyalty were the Indians, not because they gave me anything, but because they had a couple of Shockers on the team and were generally a WSU friendly team.

My predictions for the year are:
AL East: Yankees (how can you pick against Jeter)
AL Central: White Sox (they are a complete team)
AL West: A's (great rotation)
AL Wild Card: Indians

NL East: Braves (pick them until they lose)
NL Central: Astros (pretty weak all around division, Brewers will surprise)
NL West: Padres (horrible division)
NL Wild Card: Brewers

World Series
:Indians vs. Brewers

Several interesting stories to watch for the year. Will Jimmy Rollins continue his hitting streak? How good is Prince Fielder? How good is Jhonny Peralta? Will the Indians put it all together this year? Will Grady Sizemore sleep with every woman in Cleveland? Will Jeter beat the hell out of A-Rod? Will Jeter continue to be the greatest player in the game or will Ortiz overtake the crown? Will the Royals lose 110? Will the White Sox win 110? Will Thome be the comeback player of the year? Will the Stank Johnsons (my fantasy team) have enough power? Will Rob Neyer disown the Royals? Will Red Sox nation be able to cope with 3rd place in the East? Will I get fired for listening to too many baseball games on the internet (14.95 for all games this season, hard deal to beat). Will Greinke get his head together this year? Will Dusty Baker ruin Zambrano's arm before he's fired? Will the Devil Rays climb out of the AL East cellar (they'll definitely be more fun to watch)? How many guys will get the dreaded 50 game suspension? Will amphetamine use be the cause of most of those 50 game suspensions (YES!)?

Baseball is, obviously, my favorite sport. Baseball provides so many stories over the course of 6 months, that it is almost impossible to be bored by a season. Even 100 loss teams can watch young players (future of the franchise) play in September. Anything is possible as of right now and I hope it does.

No comments: