Thursday, December 15, 2005

ANWR

George Will points out several things about the ANWR debate that I didn't know were true. Number 1:

Those who have and who think it is "pristine" must have visited during the 56 days a year when it is without sunlight. They missed the roads, stores, houses, military installations, airstrip and school. They did not miss seeing the trees in area 1002. There are no trees.


Am I reading this wrong or is he saying that people live and work in ANWR?

Number 2:

Flowing at 1 million barrels a day -- equal to 20 percent of today's domestic oil production -- ANWR oil would almost equal America's daily imports from Saudi Arabia. And it would equal the supply loss that Hurricane Katrina temporarily caused, and that caused so much histrionic distress among consumers. Lee Raymond, chairman and CEO of Exxon Mobil, says that if the major oil companies decided that 10 billion barrels were an amount too small to justify exploration and development projects, many current and future projects around the world would be abandoned.


I've always been led to believe that the amount was so trivial that it was hardly worth the effort.

Number 3:

there are active oil and gas wells in at least 36 U.S. wildlife refuges


Why do environmentalists even try? I guess because they're pretty effective at using the MSM to perpetuate their myths and fallacies. I've never been an opponent of drilling in ANWR, but I assumed that it was a precedent setting type of thing. I wasn't aware we were drilling in other wildlife refuges.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Read Pandagon's take http://www.pandagon.net/cgi-bin/mt/mt-tb.cgi/2075. It's emotional , irrational and overblown. Just like Will's little temper tantrum. Maybe George went off his meds, I don't know. I usually expect better from him.

Joe Blueberry said...

I think aside from the thimble full of oil part of Will's article, that it wasn't irrational. Of course, I'm pretty much predisposed to think of environmentalists as being anti-capitalist.